If you are wondering which hiking trail to explore next, our list of the top 10 best hikes in the world will help you pick the right one. This well-curated compilation of 10 of the world’s best hikes is worth your travel bucket list entry. Hiking is an amazing way to explore places and it allows you to experience nature closely. The sights of mesmerizing landscapes, towering snow-capped mountains, challenging trails, and diverse flora and fauna will reward you as you embark on your journey.
With the increasing popularity of hiking among nature lovers, hiking destinations around the world are gaining massive attention. From the lap of the tallest peak in the world to the roof of Africa, nature has blessed us with a wide range of terrains to explore. Furthermore, there are all kinds of hiking trails, from beginner-friendly to advanced, for you to explore based on your preferences. Encompassing all the factors, we have selected the 10 best hikes in the world, with something for everyone on the list.
- What are the 10 Best Hikes in the World?
- Explore the Best Day Hikes in the World
- The Ending Note
What are the 10 Best Hikes in the World?
There are so many breathtaking destinations in the world to explore that simply a list of 10 will not be enough. However, we have hand-picked some of the must-visit places for nature lovers to enjoy nature at its best. These listed destinations will connect you with nature on a deeper level, leaving you with memories of a lifetime.
1. Inca Trail, Peru
The Inca trail hike to Machu Picchu is among the most famous hiking destinations in the world. Located in Peru, the Inca trail is known for its stunning landscape, scenic sights, and ancient ruins. This 7-day trip is a comparatively easier hiking trail and is beginner-friendly. Although the trail can be tough at times depending on the weather conditions, the Inca trail is the easier one among other trails to Machu Picchu.
The Inca trail hike to Machu Picchu is among the most hiking destinations in the world. This trail is known for its stunning landscape, which features lush green forests, rugged mountains, and breathtaking vistas at every turn. Hikers will also encounter ancient Incan ruins that provide a glimpse into the region’s rich history and culture.
As a 7-day trip, the Inca Trail is a great option for beginners and experienced hikers alike. Although the trail can be tough at times depending on the weather conditions, the Inca trail is the easier one among other trails to Machu Picchu.
Highlights of the Inca trail hike:
- Mesmerizing views with magnificent mountains, lush green hills, and beautiful valleys.
- Explore the ancient ruins and historically significant archeological sites on your way to Machu Picchu.
- Experience the 26-mile-long thrilling hiking terrain through rocky trails and steep mountain passes.
- Experience the Andean culture and lifestyle and learn more about their history.
- Encounter intriguing local wildlife including llamas and Andean spectacled bears.
- The final stop at Machu Picchu, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the New Seven Wonders of the World.
Facts about the Inca trail:
|Location||Peru, South America|
|Hiking duration||4 Days|
|Hiking distance||43 km (26.7 miles)|
|Difficulty level||Moderate hike during the dry season, difficult hike during the peak wet season.|
2. Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal
If you wish to embark on a more challenging hiking route, the Everest Base Camp trek is a perfect fit for you. The breathtaking trail of EBC will take you to the foot of the world’s tallest mountain, Mount Everest. This 16-day long Everest Base Camp Trek will allow you to experience the majestic Mt. Everest up close with incredible sights of Himalayan ranges, glaciers, and valleys. But, if you prefer a shorter hike to EBC, Everest Base Camp Short Trek is the alternative.
Whether you choose the full 16-day trek or the shorter option, one thing is certain: the journey to Everest Base Camp is an unforgettable adventure that will stay with you for a lifetime.
Let’s explore some of the major attractions of the EBC trek:
- Explore the base of Mount Everest with the closest view of the world’s tallest peak.
- Panoramic view of the glaciers and Himalayan ranges including Khumbu Himal, Mahalangur Himal, Rolwaling Himal, and Numbur Range.
- Trek through Sagarmatha National Park, home to endangered species such as snow leopard, red panda, and Himalayan black bear.
- Come across Sherpas and experience their culturally rich lifestyle.
- Visit the historical Tengboche Monastery and other ancient monasteries along the way to EBC.
Facts about the EBC hiking routes:
|Location||Khumbu region of Nepal|
|Hiking duration||12-16 days|
|Hiking distance||a round trip of 130 km (80 miles)|
|Difficulty level||Moderate to difficult.|
3. Annapurna Circuit Trek, Nepal
If you want to explore more of the Annapurna region, you can go for a 2 week-long Annapurna Circuit Trek. This is one of the best guided hikes in the world and allows you a deeper exploration of the Annapurna region. From the lowlands of Besisahar to the Thorong La Pass at an altitude of 5,416 m (17,769 ft), you will experience the splendid trekking route and witness traditional Nepali villages. The trek will not only enrich you with the tranquility of the wilderness but also challenge your physical and mental endurance.
Some of the major attractions of the Annapurna Circuit trek are:
- Hike through the high-altitude passes and diverse landscapes of the Annapurna region.
- Reach the highest mountain pass Thorong La Pass and enjoy the captivating sight of the mountains
- Scenic panoramic view of the Annapurna range, including Annapurna I, II, III, and IV.
- Experience the unique Manang village and witness the lifestyle of the indigenous Manangi people.
- Trek through the holy site Muktinath, Kali Gandaki Gorge, and Tatopani.
Facts about the Annapurna Circuit trek:
|Location||Annapurna Conservation Area, Nepal|
|Hiking duration||17 days approx|
|Hiking distance||A round trip of around 160 km (99 miles) to 230 km (142 miles)|
4. Kilimanjaro Climb, Tanzania
The list of the 10 best hikes in the world would be incomplete without including the hiking trails to Kilimanjaro. Mount Kilimanjaro stands tall in Tanzania as the tallest mountain in Africa. This hike will take you to the summit of Kilimanjaro and the diverse terrain makes it one of the best places to hike around the world. Interestingly, there are several routes to the summit and you can choose the Best Route to Climb Mount Kilimanjaro as per your preference.
These are some of the highlights of the hiking trails to Kilimanjaro:
- Alluring sight of the surrounding terrain, including the surrounding mountains and the African savannah.
- Hike through the Kilimanjaro National Park, which is home to endangered animals such as the African elephant, the African wild dog, the Eastern black rhinoceros, the Olive baboon, and so on.
- Walk through the intriguing landscape with lush rainforest, glaciers, and alpine desert with diverse ecosystems.
- Experience the rich culture and lifestyle of the Chagga people.
Facts about the Kilimanjaro climb:
|Location||Tanzania, East Africa|
|Hiking duration||5 to 10 days depending upon the route you choose|
|Hiking distance||A round trip of around 60 km (37 miles) to 80 km (49 miles)|
|Difficulty level||Moderate to difficult based on the hiking route you take|
5. Tour du Mont Blanc, Europe
The adventurous hiking trails of Tour du Mont Blanc make it one of the best hikes in the world. With the scenic beauty of tranquil nature, from the tall-standing mountains to the lush hilly terrain of Europe, the hike is astounding. The circular route of the trip takes you through Switzerland, France, and Italy. This 7 to 11 days trek is suitable for you if you are looking for a more luxurious tour around the stunning landscapes of Europe.
Some of the major highlights of the trip are:
- Takes you through the enchanting landscapes of France, Switzerland, and Italy.
- Explore the wide valleys, beautiful meadows, lush forests, and Alpine high passes.
- Experience the culture and traditions of people across the nations as you hike through three different countries.
- Wonderful view of the Swiss Alps, and Mont Blanc massif, including other stunning mountains.
- You will pass through several regions known for their authentic cuisine, including wine and cheese from the Swiss Alps and France.
- Witness historical landmarks, including the stunning castles of the Aosta Valley in Italy.
Facts about the Tour du Mont Blanc trip:
|Location||France, Switzerland, Italy|
|Hiking duration||7 to 11 days|
|Hiking distance||A round trip of 170 km (105 miles)|
6. The West Coast Trail, Canada
Another hike in the list of the best hikes in the world is the West Coast Trail in Canada. The trail was originally created as a support for shipwreck survivors centuries ago. But now, it is one of the most spectacular hikes in Canada which takes you through beautiful beach shore. Not only that, but the trail also lets you explore the wilderness of nature as you walk past the dense forest with diverse flora and fauna.
Some of the major highlights of the hike are:
- The astounding view of the Pacific coastal line with towering cliffs and sandy beach.
- Pass through several suspension bridges across deep gorges and rivers.
- Witness the historic landmark such as the shipwrecks from the early 20th century.
- It is home to a variety of marine wildlife, including sea lions, dolphins, and whales.
- You will come across the indigenous communities and get the opportunity to explore their lifestyle.
- Thrilling hiking experience passing through dense rainforest and steep and rocky terrain.
Facts about the West Coast Trail:
|Hiking duration||5 to 7 days|
|Hiking distance||A round trip of 75 km (46 miles)|
7. Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim Hike
The Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike is a multi-day hike across the North and South rim of the Grand Canyon. The trail guarantees a rewarding experience taking you through the nooks and corners of the vast Canyon. The unique topography of the region and the widely expansive towering rock formations make it one of the best places to hike in the world.
Some of the major attractions of the hike are:
- Hike through the unique geological formations of the Grand Canyon from the North to the South rim.
- Experience a wide range range of wildlife sightings, including California condors, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and so on.
- Pass through historic landmarks such as the Bright Angel Lodge and Phantom Ranch.
- Experience peaceful solitude hiking through waterfalls, the Colorado River, and the giant rock formations.
Facts about Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim Hike:
|Location||Grand Canyon National Park, USA|
|Hiking duration||4 days approximately|
|Hiking distance||Around 48 km (30 miles), but the distance mainly depends upon the hiking route|
|Difficulty level||Moderate to difficult|
8. Pennine Way, UK
Another entry in the list of best hikes in the world is Pennine Way, a long-distance footpath in England. It takes you through spectacular landscapes in England as you pass through Northumberland National Park and the Yorkshire Dales.
Highlights of the Pennine Way hiking trail are:
- Astounding sceneries throughout the hike, including the picturesque Peak District, the hills of the Yorkshire Dales, and Northumberland National Park.
- Come across Hadrian’s Wall, a UNESCO World Heritage store, and several other historic landmarks.
- Pass through several beautiful towns and villages where you can stop by some of the traditional English pubs for a drink and food.
- Trek through areas with a rich cultural heritage such as the Yorkshire Dales known for their traditional farming practice and wool trade history.
- Spot a variety of wildlife such as golden plovers, curlew, otters, etc, and explore the remote wilderness.
Facts about Pennine Way:
|Hiking duration||Approximately 2 weeks or more|
|Hiking distance||429 km (268 miles)|
9. The Basho Wayfarer, Japan
The Basho Wayfarer hike is the exploration of the fascinating hiking trail through the northern region of Japan. It takes you past the mesmerizing sceneries and landscapes and lets you experience the rich culture of the region.
This 14-day trek offers the following highlights:
- The hiking trail will take you through lush forests, picturesque mountains, and hot springs.
- Encounter traditional Japanese culture through historic temples, and traditional Japanese inns, tea ceremonies, and local cuisine.
- Learn about the historic literary figures, including Matsuo Basho, a famous Japanese poet, and traveler.
- Immerse into the pristine nature and experience Japanese spirituality and culture through temples, shrines, and sacred mountains.
- Witness the trees along the trail burst into bloom during cherry blossom season.
Facts about the Basho Wayfarer:
|Hiking duration||approximately 14 days|
|Hiking distance||200 km (120 miles)|
|Difficulty level||Moderate to difficult|
10. Appalachian Trail, USA
Last but not least, the Appalachian Trail, one of the most fascinating hiking trails in the world, extending from Springer Mountain to Mount Katahdin. This iconic trail attracts thousands of hikers yearly and offers a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It’s also one of the longest hiking trails, taking several months to complete successfully.
Some of the highlights of this famous hiking trail are:
- Witness scenic nature, including dense forests, waterfalls, rocky peaks, and enchanting panoramic sights of the landscape.
- Come across beautiful small towns and local communities and experience their warm hospitality.
- Pass through the historic sites, including the Civil War battlefield, historic settlements, and old mining towns.
- Encounter diverse wildlife, including intriguing birds, bears, deer, and a variety of birds.
- More than 2,200 miles of hiking through the rugged terrain with a challenging experience.
- Walk through a large portion of the trail passing through dense forests, popularly known as the Green Tunnel.
- Explore unique ecosystems and diverse landscapes such as the Great Smoky Mountains, the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and the Shenandoah Valley.
Facts about the Appalachian Trail:
|Hiking duration||5 to 7 months|
|Hiking distance||3,540 km (2,200 miles)|
|Difficulty level||Moderate to difficult|
Explore the Best Day Hikes in the World
Besides the amazing hiking destinations mentioned above, you can also experience nature’s tranquility through some astounding short hikes around the world. Here are some of the best short hikes to make the most of your time:
- The Grand Canyon day hike, USA
- The Haiku Stairs, Hawaii, USA
- Mount Fuji day hike, Japan
- Mount Kilimanjaro day hike, Tanzania
- Half Dome hike, USA
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing, New Zealand
- The Preikstolen Hike, Norway
- Kalalau trail, Hawaii, USA
Whether you’re short on time or simply looking for a quick adventure, these hikes offer breathtaking views and unforgettable experiences.
The Ending Note
Hopefully, one of the destinations from the above list of 10 best hikes in the world will become your next destination. Our success rate of 98% speaks volumes about the quality of our services, and we’re committed to providing you with an unforgettable and secure experience. Our team will cater to your needs and create a well-curated itinerary tailored to your requirements. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or a beginner, we’ve got you covered.
Don’t miss out on this chance to explore some of the best places in the world. Contact us today to book your next adventure. You can even reach out to us via WhatsApp at (+1-410-307-0007). Trust us to make your dream hike a reality!