Insights of religion in countries of Himalayas - Himalayan Glacier
1.820.3345.33

Insights of religion in countries of Himalayas

Religion is a principle of beliefs, dogmas, and practices that connect human and divinity. It is a feeling that leads to a proclaimed purpose of life defined by moral prescription, interdicts, and sacrifices to achieve a standard of living. In short, Religion is a way of life.

Religion in Nepal

Land of the Himalayas and home to the highest mountain in the world, the ultimate adventure of trekking in Nepal awaits you in the breath-taking and ever-changing landscapes. The lush green forests, exotic flora and fauna, pristine waterfalls and rivers, glaciers, quaint villages, snow-clad towering peaks, and authentic Nepali culture and traditions await you along the trekking routes.

Nepal is a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and multi-lingual country with more than 80 ethnic groups and 123 different languages, following four major religions. Nepal is a secular state, democratic and guaranteed freedom of religion country. Hinduism (81.3%) and Buddhism (9%)  are the two major religion that profoundly influences the population of Nepal while a minority of the population is also following Islam (4.4%). Besides, 1.4% and 3% of the population in Nepal follows Christianity and Kiratism respectively.

Some facts you might not know about religion in Nepal:

  1. “Kumari” is the only living goddess found in Nepal and is worshiped by Hindus and Buddhist.
  2. Both Hindus and Buddhists in Nepal practices Tantrism. “Tantrism” is a word derived from “Tantra” which means doctrine.
  3. Slaughter of Cow is illegal in Nepal.
  4. Kathmandu is also called as “Living Cultural Museum” because there are 7 UNESCO’s cultural heritage sites inside Kathmandu Valley.
  5. Nepali people are adherent to a religious belief- A guest is equivalent to god.

Religion in Tibet

The sizeable and content population of Tibet follows Buddhism since the 8th century. Religion for Tibetan people are extremely important, and the integral practice of Tibetan Buddhism includes chanting mantras, walking Kora to a route around the holiest sites and prostrating in a local square. Majority of people wears the typical outfit of Tibetan people called “chuba”, enchanting mantras with traditional Buddhist prayer beads (mala) or handheld prayer wheels in their hand. This is the everyday custom of people of Tibet. Religion has profound effects on the daily life of Tibetan people.

Some facts you might not know about religion in Tibet:

  1. Tibetan Buddhist recite mantras, meditate, give donations, and spin prayer wheels heartily as their daily religious customs.
  2. In Tibet, the majority of people dedicate their life to Tibetan Buddhism.
  3. Dalai Lama, the reincarnation of Chenrezig, is the senior figure of Tibetan Buddhism.
  4. There are three main religions in Tibet: The Bon, Animism, and Buddhism.
  5. The creation of intricate Sand Mandalas is a widespread practice among Buddhist monks.

Religion in Bhutan

Bhutan, “the land of the Thunder Dragon” has Buddhism as the state religion. 75% of the population of Bhutan follows Buddhism and the rest 25% follows Hinduism. The religion Buddhism has been playing a fundamental role in the sociological, cultural and ethical development of Bhutan since the 7th century. Detachment, ephemerality, and change are the three fundamental theme of Buddhism in Bhutan. Animism is still in practice by a thin portion of the population but does not have a significant influence on the life of the people. However, the majority of people are devout Buddhists.

Some facts you might not know about religion in Bhutan:

  1. The Bhutanese officially won’t kill and butcher animals, but they do eat meat.
  2. Bhutan is a phallic obsession country, the worship of phallic is a practice of teachings of Drukpa Kunley, the revered saint, and Bhutan is filled with Phallus painting, and the Bhutanese believe that the phalluses protect them from the evils.
  3. The state religion is Vajrayana Buddhism introduced in the 7th century by the Tibetan king Songtsän Gampo.
  4. Bhutan is the only country in the world to adopt Mahayana or Tantrik Buddhism as its official religion.
  5. Proselytizing is a prohibited act in Bhutan.

Planning a Trip?

We have a pool of travel experts working in this industry for more than a decade. Consult to get started.

Plan Your Trip
big mountain