Upper Dolpo & She Gompa Trek-28 Days
10% OFF on MONSOON OFFER !!!
(Valid from 15th June to 31st Aug )
Dolpo region is the most remote and least developed district in Nepal. Although a few anthropologists and geographers had explored the region, the entire district was closed to trekkers until 1989 when the southern part of Dolpo was opened to organized trekking groups. Peter Mathesons book - The Snow Leopard and Snell grove - Himalayan pilgrimage have contributed to the mystique and attraction of Dolpo.
Dolpo region situated between the Tibetan plateau and the Dhaulagiri Himalayan range is the highest inhabited land of Dolpo. Geographically a southern extension of Tibet, it lies within the borders of the state of Nepal, since 1984 has been the countrys largest national park and conservation, the park sustains an abundance of wild life including Musk Deer, Himalayan Blue Sheep and the legendary elusive Snow Leopard, as well as being home to a fascinating race of Tibetan speaking people. The hardy highlanders of Dolpo are traders, exchanging barley for Tibetan rock salt and they take their yaks onto the Tibetan plateau during the summer for grazing.
Nepals first English subtitled movie on Dolpo -The Caravan- or -The Himalaya- was a huge success and was nominated for the Oscar Award in the best foreign language film category. Boundaries of the park include within 3,500 square kilometers of land, mostly above 4,000 meters. Before 1989, when the southern regions were opened to trekking groups, very few explorers had visited the area. Two notable visits were the first mountaineering expedition by Dr. Herbert Tichy in 1953 based in Kaigon and the other visit by John Tyson in the early sixties. Dolpo is one of the most beautiful treks in the remote areas of Nepal, very rarely visited by outsider.
During the Upper Dolpo we start from Jhupal village, we begin this wonderful adventure, encountering interesting places, people, villages, valleys and serene forest of pines, oaks and rhododendron, the trek passes many gigantic mountain ranges and over the Numala pass at 5,400m till we reach the Phoksundo lake at Ringmo village in the "Phoksundo National Park".
At Ringmo, the highlight of our trip we will have two nights here to enjoy the beauty of the deep blue waters of the Phoksundo lake and the surrounding snow peaks of Kanjirowa Himalayan range, with time to visit the nearby isolated village of Ringmo and its Monastery. Our classic journey continues to the amazing country of Crystal Mountain at Shey Gomba, following the ancient Trans Himalayan Trade route and back to Jhuphal for the flight back by an alternative route, giving you more opportunity to explore this fascinating wild west of Nepal Himalaya.
Day to Day Itinerary
Arrival day in Kathmandu
Welcome to Himalayan country of Nepal. Upon your arrival at the Tribhuvan intl. airport our representative welcomes you and assists to transfer in your hotel in Kathmandu (1,300m/4,264 ft). After time to get refreshed, evening you will meet ...read more »»
- All airport/hotel transfers
- Two nights accommodation in 4-star hotel (Hotel Shanker or similar category hotel) in Kathmandu, two nights in guest house in Nepalgunj/Jupal and tented accommodation in mountain
- All domestic flights (Kathmandu-Nepalgunj -Jhuphal-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu)
- Guided sightseeing tour in Kathmandu
- Breakfast in Kathmandu and all meals and boiled water in mountain
- All ground transportation as per the itinerary program by private vehicles
- All necessary staffs with experienced English speaking climbing leader (guide), cook, assistant climbing leader (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide) and Sherpa porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers:1 porter), other helpers (1 trekker: 2 helpers) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- All necessary paper works; special trekking permit for Lower Dolpo trek
- Down jacket, four seasonal sleeping bag, Himalayan Glacier Trekking duffel bag, t-shirt, and trekking map (down jacket and sleeping bag are to be returned after trip completion)
- Camping equipments-very high quality North Face or Mountain Hardware or similar kitchen, dining, toilet tents, mattresses, and kitchen equipments
- Travel and rescue arrangements
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Exclusive Medical Kit Bag
- All government and local taxes
What's Not Included
- Nepal Visa fee (bring accurate USD cash and two passport photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Excess baggage charges (if you have more than 20 kg luggage, cargo charge is around $1.5 per kg)
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain(due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Altitude chamber (PAC) or oxygen
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu(and also in the case of early return from mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottled water, shower, heater, etc.)
- Optional trips and sightseeing if extended
- Tips for guides and porters
The Trekking Group
For the Upper Dolpo trek, there will be one leader, one cook, assistant leader (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide) and Sherpa porters for luggage carrying (2 trekkers: 1 porter), other helpers (1 trekker: 2 helpers). This arrangement ensures that should anybody in the group is sick, the trip can still go ahead as planned. We can run the Upper Dolpo Trek for at least a group of two, and include maximum of twelve people only, as we've found this to be the optimum size for a successful trip. However, if you'd like to make a group booking for more than twelve people together, we can arrange this too.
Health & Experience Required
Our Upper Dolpo Trek suitable for passionate adventurers who have ability to walk at least 6-8 hours a day with a light rucksack. Some days you might even need to ...read more »»
Accommodations are included in the trip cost and HGT has chosen the best deluxe accommodation for 3 nights in Kathmandu in a 4-star Hotel, 2 night in lodge in Nepalgunj/Jupal, and rest other nights in comfortable two-men camping tent. To sleep in tent, 4 season sleeping bag and foam mattress will be provided. We maintain standard comfort in every matter based on the enforceable conditions such as weather calamities. All hotel and camping accommodation is on twin sharing basis, and will provide you single supplement if there is different sex without extra charge. If you prefer a single room, you may indicate your preference and get single room/tent on request by paying single supplement USD 350.
During your Upper Dolpo Trek, you can enjoy freshly cooked hygienic and nutritious meals on full board basis prepared by our trained and experienced cook. Typical Nepali food, ...read more »»
Our Upper Dolpo Trek itinerary is planned with a high degree awareness of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness). Going up too fast causes a medical condition serious enough to kill. The ...read more »»
Leader(s) & Staff Arrangements
The most significant thing that makes your Upper Dolpo Trek successful, enjoyable and memorable is the skilled, experienced, courteous and helpful trek leader and the crew members with ability of operating your days in the mountain smoothly. Your trip will be led by the best ...read more »»
Equipments & Packing List
While packing for “Upper Dolpo & She Gompa Trek”
certain gears are essential to be considered.
Click here for the comprehensive packing list for Upper Dolpo & She Gompa Trek
The best time for Lower Dolpo trek is from March to May in Spring and October-November in Autumn season.
Trip Start Dates & Price
Our website contains as much information as possible about this trip. However, if you wish to discuss any aspect of this trip or your suitability for it please contact us by email
. If you want to talk to us directly feel free to call us at: US telephone:
704-200-7512 Asia telephone: