Kathmandu valley besides being proud with number of temples, Gompas, and historic palaces also boasts with majestic hill stations. As far as the tremendous cultural diversity and attractive medieval architectures found in the valley is nowhere to compare. But to the most exploring the hill stations around the valley leaves you unrivaled travel experience. Travelers to the surrounding hill stations of the valley remain stun the moment they capture terrific panorama of Himalayan peaks. Here are list few hill stations that adds the glory of Kathmandu valley.
- Phulchowki (2,762 meters), the one of the greatest charms of Kathmandu valley, is the highest among the hills surrounding the Kathmandu Valley. Phulchowki means “hill of flowers” that especially erupts during spring time. When this hilltop station erupts with dazzling blooms of rhododendron and orchids, visitors thrill with nature. Furthermore, Phulchowki is also popular for majestic views of Himalayas, and grand sight of the entire Kathmandu Valley.
- Nagarkot, located 32 kilometers east of Kathmandu, is one of the most beautiful spots in Bhaktapur district. The scenic site is popular for its breathtaking sunrise view of the Himalayas. Nagarkot has become famous as one of the best spots to view Mt. Everest as well as other snow-capped peaks of the Himalayan range of eastern Nepal. It also offers an excellent view of the Indrawati river valley to the east. With an elevation of 2,195 meters, Nagarkot also caters a panoramic view of the Kathmandu Valley. Along with number of spectacular views, the hill station is also best for short treks.
- Dhulikhel is a scenic hill station situated 30 kilometers east of Kathmandu on the Kathmandu Kodari Highway. From Dhulikhel one has a panoramic view of the Himalayan range. From the main town a short journey brings you at Namobuddha which holds a stupa and Buddhist Monastery. Panauti, a village noted for its numerous temples with magnificent woodcarving, is a short distance from Dhulikhel. Those visitors who are after short excursion but mesmerizing, Dhulikhel will be the best place for them.
- Kakani is another fantastic site for viewing the mountain scenery. Only two hours north-west of Kathmandu, one can see the mountain landscape of central Nepal, a vast collection of majestic peaks stretching from Ganesh Himal to the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges. Rhododendrons growing wild on the mountain slopes begin to bloom in late winter and stay in bloom for several months, giving the village even more charm. This hill station is popular for short drive, picnic and distance spectacular views of Himalayas.
- Godavri, 14 kilometer to the south of Kathmandu, is a small village below Phulchowki where the Royal Botanical Gardens, and Department of Medicinal Plants are located. But this is not all the makes Godavari a paradise on earth. The setting is unquestionably majestic. Besides enchanting mountain views, Godavari offers a distinct taste of ancient Newari and hill tribe culture.
- Chovar, an eye-catching hill station located at the outskirt of Kathmandu on the way to Dashinkalli, is popular for scenic views of surrounding hills. The captivating hill station is not only popular among international travelers; it is too lovely place for local residents in the valley. Chovar arrests those in the valley who seek one day excursion from the busy schedule of daily life. The Chobhar Gorge is another greater attraction. Alongside is the Jal Vinayak Temple – an important pilgrimage site for the valley residents. The legends of human settlement in the valley are attached with this hill station.
- Shivapuri, an exciting one day trek, passes through the Budhanikanatha temple. An uphill climb from Budhanikanatha towards the Shivapuri hill is engaging. Various flowers like orchid and pitula are abundant on the trail. Travelers may be able to spot deers and monkeys in the conservation area as well. Different kinds of bird species are plentiful for bird lovers. The comprehensive views of Northeast side of Kathmandu as well as majestic Himalayas in the north are the notable attractions of this hill station.
Latest posts by Himalayan Glacier (see all)
- 7 reasons to go for Langtang Valley Trek - Nov 15, 2017
- 10 Facts about Namche Bazaar for a Trekker in the Everest Region - Nov 6, 2017
- 9 off-the-beaten-path treks in Nepal - Oct 24, 2017