Himalayas’ mighty mountain range spans six countries: China, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Bhutan and Afghanistan. With Mount Everest, the Eight – Thousanders, and over 100 mountains above 7,200 meters, the Himalayas are a wonderland dream destination for mountaineers. The Eight-Thousanders are extremely popular for trekking, and mountaineering activities.
The Eight -Thousanders only found in Nepal and their altitudes are:
- Mount Everest: 29,035 feet (8,850 meters)
- K2 (located between China and Pakistan): 28,251 feet (8,611 meters)
- Kangchenjunga (located between India and Nepal): 28,169 feet (8,586 meters)
- Lhotse (part of the Everest range): 27,940 feet (8,516 meters)
- Makalu (located between Nepal and China): 27,838 feet (8,485 meters)
- Cho Oyu (near Mount Everest between Nepal and China): 26,864 feet (8,188 meters)
- Dhaulagiri I (Nepal): 26,795 feet (8,167 meters)
- Manaslu (Nepal): 26,781 feet (8,163 meters)
- Nanga Parbat (Pakistan): 26,660 feet (8,126 meters)
- Annapurna I (Nepal): 26,545 feet (8,091 meters)
The tallest 14 mountains on earth are collectively referred to as the Eight-Thousanders. It is in the sense that each stands at over 8,000 meters (26,247 feet) tall. All of the Eight-Thousanders are found in Asia – in the Himalayas and the Karakoram mountain ranges. In order by their heights are listed below.
- Mount Everest: 8,848 meters (29,029 feet). Located between China and Nepal.
- K2: 8,611 meters (28,251 feet). Located between Pakistan and China.
- Kangchenjunga: 8,586 meters (28,169 feet). Located between Nepal and India.
- Lhotse: 8,516 meters (27,940 feet). Located between China and Nepal.
- Makalu: 8,485 meters (27,838 feet). Located between China and Nepal.
- Cho Oyu: 8,201 meters (26,906 feet). Located between China and Nepal.
- Dhaulagiri I: 8,167 meters (26,795 feet). Located in Nepal.
- Manaslu: 8,163 meters (26,781 feet). Located in Nepal.
- Nanga Parbat: 8,126 meters (26,660 feet). Located in Pakistan.
- Annapurna I: 8,091 meters (26,545 feet). Located in Nepal.
- Gasherbrum I: 8,080 meters (26,444 feet). Located between China and Pakistan.
- Broad Peak: 8,051 meters (26,414 feet). Located between China and Pakistan.
- Gasherbrum II: 8,034 meters (26,358 feet). Located between China and Pakistan.
- Shishapangma: 8,027 meters (26,335 feet). Located in China.
The majority of Eight –Thousanders lie in Nepal. Logically, Nepal – a tiny Himalayan state keeps mountain treasure-trove.
Latest posts by Himalayan Glacier (see all)
- Explore India’s 10 Top Most Tourist Attractions - Dec 4, 2017
- 7 reasons to go for Langtang Valley Trek - Nov 15, 2017
- 10 Facts about Namche Bazaar for a Trekker in the Everest Region - Nov 6, 2017